Whoever embarks on a journey through the history of the German School Addis Ababa will be amazed at what has happened since the founding of the first school association in 1926. The school has developed from an expert school in the Missionary House into a modern educational institution. Roman Herzog, the then Federal President, broke ground for the school at its current location on 26.01.1996. The German School was first opened in 1955 by the then Emperor Haile Selassie as a meeting school at Amist Kilo. In its best days it had up to 800 pupils, but had to be closed under the DERG regime, was expropriated and forced to move to the grounds of the German Embassy. The communist regime did not allow children of Ethiopian nationality to continue attending classes at the German school. After the political climate changed again, the school moved to its current location and is now a rather small but exciting place to learn and teach!
The school currently offers a place of learning to more than 300 children and young people from kindergarten to the IBDP and is constantly developing. With the construction of the new administration building and the construction of the new classrooms, which started in the school year 2019/20, the German School Addis Ababa is once again setting the course for the future.
We are proud to look back on such a moving school history. The most important milestones of this success story are summarized below.
Idioms and phrases by theidioms.com